Skip to main content

Between Brazil and Nigeria: An Afternoon with Consul-General Ronaldo Vieira in Lagos By Anago-Osho, James Akeem




It was a great honour to be among the few guests invited by the Consul General of Brazil in Lagos, Ronaldo Vieira, to attend the press conference and opening of Nike Art Gallery’s “Waste to Wealth” exhibition on Tuesday, 29 September 2026.


Consul General Vieira previously served in Nigeria as Deputy Head of Mission in Abuja, giving him valuable experience and a deep understanding of Nigeria–Brazil relations. However, what struck me most about him is not only his diplomatic experience, but his genuine warmth, humility and strong connection with Nigerian culture.





Vieira has developed a remarkable appreciation for Yoruba spirituality and cultural heritage. As an Elegun Sango, his interest in Yoruba divinity reflects a personal journey that has strengthened the cultural connection between Brazil and Nigeria. His knowledge, respect and understanding of Yoruba traditions demonstrate how cultural heritage can become a powerful bridge between two nations separated by the Atlantic but connected by a shared history.


Mr. Adeniran fondly calls him “Nigeria Ronaldo,” a name that captures, in a light-hearted way, the affection and familiarity with which he is regarded by many Nigerians.


I am writing about this experience because of something else that deeply impressed me: his apparent belief in the dignity and equality of people. During his speech at the press conference, he acknowledged members of the Consulate team by name, not only diplomats and administrators, but also security personnel, gardeners, cooks and other members of staff whose contributions often remain unseen. That simple gesture spoke volumes.


As guests mingled during the event, there was a remarkable sense of warmth and togetherness. It was difficult to distinguish who was a diplomat, administrator, guest or support staff. Everyone appeared to be part of one family. For me, that was perhaps one of the most memorable lessons of the afternoon: leadership is not only about position, it is also about how we recognize and respect the people around us.


I was also delighted to reconnect with Baba Martins, a respected figure in the Afro-Brazilian community in Lagos, who was particularly happy to see me. I was in the company of Mr. Lawson Adam’s and Madam Taiwo Salvador, and it was a privilege to share the occasion with His Royal Majesty, Oba Adekunle Alayande Awurela, who grew up in Brazil before returning to Nigeria and being crowned king more than two decades ago.










I also had the opportunity to see Mama Nike Okundaye, the celebrated founder of Nike Art Gallery, together with her second daughter. Her lifelong commitment to Nigerian art, culture and creative expression continues to provide an important platform for cultural exchange.


For me, the afternoon was much more than an art event. It was a gathering of art, diplomacy, heritage, memory and identity, a reminder of the deep historical and cultural connections between Nigeria and Brazil.


As someone who has spent decades working in heritage, tourism and the history of the African diaspora, I see these connections as extremely important. They remind us that the Atlantic Ocean did not completely sever the relationship between Africa and its diaspora. In many ways, culture, spirituality, music, art, food, language and memory continue to reconnect us.


I am grateful to have shared this memorable afternoon with people who are contributing, in different ways, to keeping that connection alive.


Brazil and Nigeria are not strangers. Our histories have crossed, our cultures have travelled, and our people continue to build bridges across the Atlantic. 




James Akeem Anago-Osho (Anago-Osho)

Popular posts from this blog

The history of Seriki Williams Abass Of Badagry and his Brazilian BARRACOON By Anago James Akeem Osho

The History of Seriki Williams Abass of Badagry and his Brazilian Barracoon By Anago James Akeem Osho The Statue of Seriki Williams Abass at Aiyetoro round about near Abeokuta. Seriki Abass ruled Badagry for 24years, founded Aiyetoro and Idogo. PHOTO CREDIT: Anago James Akeem Osho Seriki Williams Abass was born originally at a town in Yorubaland called Ijoga Orile. The town is in todays Ogun State in South West Nigeria. Ijoga Orile is not far from Ilaro and Abeokuta. His birth name was Faremilekun and his father’s name was Fagbemi. He was captured by the Dahomeans and became a slave at the age of six years old. The country called Benin Republic today used to be known as Dahomey. The name Dahomey was changed to Benin Republic in 1975.

The Anago in Benin Republic, Togo and Nigeria By Anago James Akeem Osho (A response to an email sent to Anago James Akeem Osho)

Dear brother Anago Osho, When you have the time, could you share some information with me. I was under the impression that the Africans in the Republic of Benin known as Nago were Yoruba. In fact I thought they were call Nago because they may have been from the Anago. When I was in the Republic of Benin last. I was in the town Quidah. I happen to meet a Yoruba man who was working as a tour guide on one of these European tour buses. He was a Yoruba from Ibadan. In my conversation with him, he informed me that the Nago were not Yoruba. How can this be? I wanted to debate with this Brother, but I change my mind. I asked myself, "How can I debate with this Brother who is Yoruba and myself was born the the United States? Maybe he has some history that I am not aware of. Even though I was born in the U.S., I am so-called African American. On top of that, I am an Orisha and Ifa worshipper. In studying the historical experience of slavery in the West, one of the strongest spiritual trad...

Ori Oke Erio of Ayo Babalola, A Religious tour of Erio Ekiti Nigeria BY Anago James Akeem Osho

Ayo Babalola's church, built in 1933.