Skip to main content

BADAGRY WALKING TOURS, Tour Guided by Historian and Story Teller - Anago James Akeem Osho

          This is the Tour of the Historical Sites in Badagry as defined by Anago James Akeem Osho
Badagry Walking tour, led by Anago James Akeem Osho
Lunch at 02 restaurant
Stop 1: THE SERIKI FAREMI WILLIAMS ABASS SLAVE MUSEUM: A Barracoon is a Spanish word for a house. Maybe a poor peoples house. It became popular with the trans-Atlantic slave trade. A Baracoon is popularly referred to as a Jail, Slave store or Slave cell in English). The Brazillian Barracoon of Seriki Abass was built for him by his Brazilian slave merchant friends in 1840. It was handed over to him been their African collaborator. Chief Seriki Ifaremilekun Williams Abass himself was once a slave boy who became a Slave trader. Visit the compound to know how he
<script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js"></script>
<ins class="adsbygoogle"
     style="display:block; text-align:center;"
     data-ad-layout="in-article"
     data-ad-format="fluid"
     data-ad-client="ca-pub-5588020044814759"
     data-ad-slot="9752189299"></ins>
<script>
     (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
</script>
became a Slave trader and ruler of Badagry. Anago will be glad to be your tour guide. The compound has been converted into a living museum and it was declared a National monument in 2003 by the National Commission for Museums and Monuments (N.C. M.M). Other attractions in the compound include; the Mausoleum of Chief Seriki Williams Abass who died in 1919 and his Court house where he passes judgements on all the people, villages and towns that were under Badagry that time.
Toilets are available at this Stop.

Stop 2: MOBEE SLAVE RELICS MUSEUM: The museum is a private property owned by the Mobee Family. Relics of the Trans Atlantic slave trade mainly shackles and locks of various dimensions can be found in the mini-museum.

Stop 3: THE DISTRICT OFFICER'S RESIDENCE: This building was formerly the lodge for the District Officer's. It was constructed in the year 1870 by the British Government. The first District officer to lodge in the building was Thomas R.J Ticket. The site was abandoned in 1958 and the same year the District Officer's Office was abandoned.

Stop 4: THE DISTRICT OFFICER'S OFFICE (now Badagry Heritage Museum): The Building was formerly known as the District Officer's Office, constructed in 1863 by the British Government. Henry F. Pilkington Esq. was the first District Officer posted in 1865 while G.B Ollivant was the last District Officer. The Building was converted into a museum in the year 2002 and bears the name 'Badagry Heritage Museum'. The Museum contains collections of the transatlantic slave trade between Africa, Europe and North America.

Stop 5: THE FIRST STOREY BUILDING: The Building is reputed known as the first storey building in Nigeria, constructed by the Anglican missionaries under the leadership of Reverend C.A Gollmer in 1845. It has the first modern safe installed in 1856. An African missionary and liberated slave, Reverend Samuel Ajayi Crowther translated the English Bible into Yoruba Language inside the storey building in 1846.

Stop 6: O2 Restaurant for Lunch. Toilets are available at this Stop

Stop 7: Market: Badagry Coconut market boasts of being the largest Coconut Market in West Africa. Souvenirs are available.

Stop 8: SLAVE PORTS AND SLAVE POINT OF NO RETURN: The sites were established for the shipment of slaves across the Atlantic. Souvenirs available. For those who do not wish to walk this final section, Okadas are available for hire on the Island at N200 per trip for those who can not walk on the Slave route.

Do not forget to ask Anago to get you the popular and special Ajogun, the Badagry Biscuit.

BADAGRY HISTORICAL TOURS. You will be Welcomed and guided around Badagry by Anago James Akeem Osho. For enquiries contact Mobile: 0803 704 3233, anago.tourism@gmail.com .

Popular posts from this blog

THE HISTORY OF SERIKI WILLIAMS ABASS OF BADAGRY AND HIS BRAZILLIAN SLAVE BARRACOON By Anago James Akeem Osho

Seriki Williams Abass was born originally at a town in Yorubaland called Ijoga Orile. The town is in todays Ogun State in South West Nigeria. Ijoga Orile is not far from Ilaro and Abeokuta. His birth name was Faremilekun and his father’s name was Fagbemi. He was captured by the Dahomeans and became a slave at the age of six years old. The country called Benin Republic today used to be known as Dahomey. The name Dahomey was changed to Benin Republic in 1975. <script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js"></script>
<ins class="adsbygoogle" style="display:block; text-align:center;" data-ad-layout="in-article" data-ad-format="fluid" data-ad-client="ca-pub-5588020044814759" data-ad-slot="9752189299"></ins> <script> (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); </script>

Ori Oke Erio of Ayo Babalola, A Religious tour of Erio Ekiti Nigeria BY Anago James Akeem Osho

HISTORY OF PORTO NOVO / AJASE by Anago James Akeem Osho

Porto Novo is a great City with a great history. It is the capital of Benin republic and is situated on the West African Coast. The word Porto Novo is a Portuguese word which means New port.
The Portuguese were the first European to settle down there. Porto Novo is also known as Ajase (Ajace) by the Yorubas, and known as Hogbonu by the Ogu.
Porto Novo was established in the 16th Century. It was a Slave port controlled by the Alaafin of Oyo. The Oyo Empire was a great empire which also controlled the Slave port of Badagry. It partly controlled the Slave port of Whydah (Ouidah) for a period before Whydah was completely taken over by the Dahomey Kings.